Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Big Expand

OK so I haven't posted for a little while about the little growing baby, so I'm going to spill it all now.
March 30th we had a follow up appt. with the Genetic councelor. The week before I got my blood taken from my Dr. so they could compare it to the blood from the beginning of the pregnancy. We started the appt. off waiting in the waiting room for an HOUR before we were even seen. Devin and I knew that we were getting an ultra sound and getting to find out the sex so we secretly took Kristene (my sister) with us and we told her it was just to meet with the counselor. So when we finally got called into the office I told her as we were walking in the door that we were going to be able to find out the sex that day..... I think she was pretty excited to be part of it!!!

We then got into the room we sat in there for another 15min. before the lady came back. UGH we were so annoyed at this point already. She started the ultra sound and did a lot of stuff, looking at measurments and the brain and all the bones......... She didn't explain anything to us so I was kinda upset about that, so we just sat in silence watching the screen. She said that the baby was measuring small and asked if Sept. 1st was my true due date. As far as I've been told it is. This lady wasn't up to speed on life I'm sure. After she left the room a different lady came in and looked at some things and then left again. We were then left in this room alone for some time before a nurse came in to take my blood pressure. After then we went to another room and sat down and waited for the couselor to be available. FINALLY we got called into Vicki's office to hear about the test results.

As far as they can tell in the blood work, I am not a carrier of anything on my family. But, my blood test came back abnormal. My hormone levels were really high on some things and low on others. So the 3 bads..... We have a 1 in 100 chance of having a baby with Down Syndrome, we have a 3% chance of having a baby with cystic fibrosis (which doesn't make any sence because you have to be a carrier for that and someone in your family has to have it, well no one on either of our sides have it...) and then the 3rd one has to do with my placenta not being able to give the baby enough nutrients. The things they looked and and how they came up with the conclusions they did are: my blood work coming back with abnormal hormone levels, the baby measuring smaller then it should be, and the bones in the top of the arms and the top of the legs are measuring small, and the blood that moves from the baby through the umbilical cord wasn't how it was supposed to be moving (I guess). So all in all I was annoyed at the whole thing, and Devin was scared about the whole thing, and they want to do more tests. They want to do an Amnio. WTF, no way. They are SO not going to stick a Giant needle through my stomach, into my uterus while puncturing my amniotic sack just to get a little bit more info (that will probably come back Inconclusive anyways, screw that). PLus there is a chance that the baby can miscarry at that point because they punctured the amniotic sack. There is no way that I want to take a chance like that for something that probably isn't happening to the baby. SO we opted out of having an amnio and I will have another ultra sound next week to measure the baby again to see if anything has changed. If the baby is growing small then, they will just keep an eye on it for the rest of the pregnancy. I would rather enjoy the next 4.5 months and not being tested every week. We Finally left that office at 5:15pm when we got there at 2pm. It was the most aweful appt. that we have ever been to.

Now that you have read all this, the real point to this post was to show you that in the last few days, I swear this thing has pushed my tummy out more and more each day. And it's to the point where I am now actually showing and not being just "fat''. So here is this weeks.
This was this morning about to walk out the door. My tummy is smaller in the morning than it is at night right before bed time.
This was taken last night right before bed.

And again last night right before bed, when I look down it feels and looks bigger then it does from the side. But this picture was for fun!!

Oh and I'm sure you are wondering what the sex is since I posted that earlier.... She didn't give us a picture of it (but gave up 6 pictures of the face), Well my friends, we are having a little baby Girlie and I couldn't be more excited about it! Devin is happy, but would have been happy either way!!!

4 comments:

Brittany said...

Oh yay! Girls are so much fun. That sucks about your appointment though, I would be annoyed as well. But I hope everything is ok with the baby...more than likely she'll be fine I'm sure. At my ultrasound they told me the baby's stomach is bigger than her head and they'll have to recheck it later. I don't know what that means but I swear they tell us this stuff just to scare us!

Sarah-Olivia said...

I'm sorry the appt. was so sucky! That is so fun that you are having a girl though!! Congrats!

Devin and Chelsey said...

I swear, I should have never gone to that Genetics Counselor in the first place. I'm sure our babies are fine though. We have good family gene's!

Melanie M. McKinnon said...

I'm glad you are keeping so positive about the whole situation. I talked to my dad today and he explained to me the whole situation. I'm just thinking about you and glad to see that you are doin good with the news. Love you!!