Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Hunting We Will Go......

So Devin and I got to take our first trip out to go hunting with my Dad's Twin my Uncle Gary. We went out on Saturday morning, we got to Gary's house at 6:30 and we were driving out to the field by 7:15. This place that we got to go to is in Duvall on a private farm. It the Ruperts farm. When we got there, we parked on the side of the road and we had to "hike" down to the field and we had to wear our waders. The water was up to our knees at certain points. It's basically just a flooded field on this farm. We were wading through this water and at half way through there were some ducks that came down and sat in the water a few yards away from us. Of course the guys wern't ready with there shotguns so they didn't get the shot and then the ducks flew away. So we got the Dec's (decoys) out and all set up and waited. There was a little island that had a tree and some tree limbs that we sat undwe with the Camo so they couldn't see us. It took a while for the ducks to come around, but Devin got the first shot and he NAILED it on the first shot. That duck just fell right into the water. He went and got it and had to "wring" it's neck to kill it, that will break it's neck if it wasn't dead already. Well, then we were all excited about that and nothing happend for about another hour. Devin then decided that he got a little bored and started to adventure out to the other fields. So Gary and I sat there and waited and of course there were 8 birds that flew in while he was gone. Gary shot and got one on his first shot. Well, Gary has a hard time walking with some pain and problems that are going on in his back, so I told him that I would wade out there and get it for him. So I get out there and the darn thing is still flopping around. Gary then tells me that I need to Wring it's neck. WHAT??? YOU WANT ME TO DO WHAT??? Wring it's neck? He wants me to break it's neck with my hands. WOW, so I did and it was a little scary, but I'm not a wussy girl. The problem was, it didn't stop moving. It kept flopping it's wings around. So I brought the duck back to Gary and he tried to wring it's neck and the darn thing wouldn't stop moving for him either. So we put it down on the snow bank and let it just stop moving on it's own. Well after that excitement they all flew away and Devin crawled back. There wasn't much going on after that. We stayed for about another hour and nothing really happend so we called it a day. We packed up the 2 ducks and all the Dec's and headed out. Gary decided to give us the duck he killed so we got to take home 2. In this picture, you almost can't see the ducks because of the Camo, but I am holding the male Malard duck in my left hand, and the female Malard in my right hand.

We didn't take Maui with us just because I don't think she would be good yet at just sitting there waiting, but Devin would like to take her this weekend when they go.

All in all it was a fun experience and we can't wait to go again. I know they are going this Saturday even though I will be in Iowa visiting Dean and chelle, and KaraBear!!! I know they will have a good time and hopefully they will be able to kill there bag limit which is 7 per person. Even our friend Jacob is going out this weekend with them. Come on baby, make me proud!!!

Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Christina Johnson said...

You certainly are not a wussy girl... There's no way I could do that! So now that Devin got a rifle Ben's decided he wants to learn how to bow hunt!?! He married the wrong girl for a hunting partner but I was thinking maybe we could send the boys out a time or two if you were interested in doing 'lame girl' stuff with me :o)